When I was a kid my grand parents had an old manual chaff cutter in their back yard, which I was always fascinated with. When my grand-mother died a couple of years ago, my parents were going to sell it. It had seen better days by this time, but I was intent on keeping it. So I got back to my place and it has sat around the yard and in the shed for a couple of years now. But the other day I started pulling it apart, with the idea of re-painting it, and replacing all the old dodgy bolts, and generally making it a bit nicer, so that my wife will let me put it in the front garden somewhere. Below is a picture of what it looked like before I got most of the bits off (I had removed one leg, the other one is rusted through, a couple of gears and the blades):
As everything was pretty well rusted together it has been a time consuming process, and I have broken several things along the way. These have mostly been bolts, which I’m not too concerned about, I can make or buy some more. However I broke one of the gears trying to get it off with the gear puller, not sure how I’m going to fix this at the moment, but there should be some way to do it (let me know if you can think of any given it is probably cast iron).
I have finally managed to get it apart as far as I think is necessary. The shaft is going to stay in the main wheel I think, as the look to have rusted into one piece, and I don’t want to break anything else. Now comes the task of removing all the flaky paint and rust. This will be followed by repairing/modifying/re-creating all the broken and missing parts. Below is a series of images showing the state of it and the disassembly process.